The Top 10 best vet recommended flea treatments for cats
Bayer Seresto flea and Tick collar treatment
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray Treatment
Sentry guard oral flea And Tick treatment
Bagging the best-recommended Flea Treatments by Vets is a huge vote of confidence in the Flea and Tick Treatment you want to use as your Cats or Dogs as a spot-on solution of choice.
And for obvious reasons, with flea and tick treatment you definitely have a lot to consider and choose carefully of flea and tick infestation treatment used as it has a lot of pros cons.
Majority of flea and tick treatments come with active ingredients or insecticides ( like Fipronil) that may be ideal for either the dog but not the cat when you have both of them living with you in the same household.
Though Fipronil has been known for their effectiveness as a Flea and Tick Treatment capable of eliminating fleas for up to 8 weeks in dogs and up to 5 weeks in cats, the ingredients in this product can often wipe out other beneficial garden insect colonies, disturbing an eco-system your backyard needs to thrive.
So, if you have been looking for the best vet recommended flea treatments for your cat, then you have definitely come to the right place.
In this article, we break down everything you need help you decide the best flea and tick treatment for your pet. But, before we dive deep into best vet recommended flea and tick treatments, let’s look at:
- Ways you can tell if your cat has fleas
- Disadvantages of your cat having fleas
- Stages of the cat flea life cycle
- The 10 best vets recommended flea treatments
How do you tell if your can has fleas?
Ever wondered how exactly do you tell if your cat has fleas or not? Well, it takes you to wipe the cat’s fur with a clean white towel to see if she has fleas. This is due to the fact that cats spend hours grooming themselves, so finding out if your cat has fleas is a bit of a challenge because the best way to check your cat for fleas is to wipe a white damp cloth over the cat’s fur and skin to see if there’s any flea dirt.
Fleas feed on the blood from their host, and that makes the dirt off the feces of the fleas has blood residue. So, if you notice some red-colored streaks on the white cloth then definitely your cat has fleas and you will need treatment for that because they may as well spread in your home which is not pleasant at all.
The disadvantage of your cat for having fleas
- Fleas cause horrible skin diseases and allergies to your cat
- For kittens, anemia can develop from blood loss because the fleas suck blood a lot
- The fleas will spread throughout your home which is not hygiene
Stages of the cat flea life cycle
If you find out that your cat has fleas it is very important to Know and understand the flea life cycle so you can be able to tackle and completely get rid of the flea problem.
A female flea can lay up to 50 eggs per day so I just a few days your cat will be full of flea eggs, from there a flea larva develops, then a flea pupa and then finally a flea adult.
The fleas love to hide between wooded floor crevices and they will fall off your cat where the cat loves to sleep and play around like in the bedding and carpeting.
The best way to completely get rid of fleas in your home is to first treat your cat and then your home and all the surroundings, make sure you target all stages of the flea life cycle and get rid of every stage completely.
Treat your home by applying flea chemicals in your bedding, carpeting, baseboards, outside yard areas, windows and curtains, furniture and everywhere where your cat loves to play.
The 10 best vets recommended flea treatments
Here are ten of the best vet recommended flea treatments for your kitty cat:
1. Bayer Seresto flea collar treatment
This Bayer Seresto Flea Collar treatment is your best option as getting sprays to get rid of the fleas on your cat can at times not work effectively on some cats because the fleas get a chance to run away while the risk of your cat licking off the flea medication as they are constantly grooming themselves is also high.
The Bayer Seresto however, its a different flea protection on many levels, and is believed to be the perfect flea defense for such cases.
With Bayer Seresto flea treatment your feline gets the protection she needs in the form of a collar. What I like about Bayer Seresto for fleas, is the fact that it is odorless and not greasy at all. You simply put it on your cat and it starts working immediately.
- The treatment is waterproof so even if your cat gets inside the water it will still be getting rid of the fleas
- The treatments last for up to 8 months
- The treatment will kill fleas, flea larvae, and ticks
- Cats with sensitive skin may experience itching or hair loss where you put the collar but it lasts for only a week
- It takes time for the cat to get used of the collar
Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Home Spray
This treatment is highly recommended by many because it does not only kill adult fleas but also inhibit the growth of new fleas, it works really fast and is safe for both adult cats and kittens. You can as well spray this treatment where you Know fleas have infested your home, be it your bedding, carpeting e.tc
- The spray kills adult fleas and has IER to stop fleas throughout their life cycle
- The spray will keep on working for up to 63 days
- The spray is excellent for kittens and cats under 12 weeks
- Just one bottle of the spray is enough to get rid of your cat and surrounding areas
- It is a bit messy when applying on the cat
- It is likely to get lethargic
3. Sentry guard oral flea treatment
These tablets will provide all-day relief to your cat but you will as well need other products to eradicate fleas in their other stages. At times these pills can be tricky to administer to your cat but you can butter the pill to help it go down a bit simply or just simply hide it I your cat’s favourite food.
- These pills start to kill fleas just within 36 minutes
- It lasts for 24 hours and can be administered every day
- There’ll be no mess when applying on your cat
- These pills will not kill the larva and pupa stage of the flea
- You’ll need other treatments to completely get rid of all stages of the Fleas
4. Advantage II flea control treatment for cats
This treatment is applied to the back of your cat’s neck once every month and it kills adult fleas, larva and eggs but you will need other treatments to Clean other parts of your home.
This treatment must be applied outside because it’s very strong, make sure you apply it where your cat cannot lick.
- This kills fleas in every stage of their life cycle
- It is waterproof
- Will kill adult fleas in 12 hours
- Is excellent for adult cats and kittens
- Your cat may have a reaction to this treatment so you should test a small area before applying the product fully
- The product has a very strong odor
5. Topical Advantage II flea control solution
The topical Advantage II Flea Control solution seems to be one notch above the others for most cats because it provides vials for easy monthly application on your cat’s neck and the strong formula kills fleas throughout their life cycle.
6. Frontline Plus for cats and kittens
This is a very effective solution that is easy to apply and get rid of all the life stages of a flea, it is waterproof, fast acting and weighs about 1.5 pounds. 6 dosed off this solution lasts for 6 months and will also get rid of lice and ticks.
- It gets rid of the entire life cycle of the flea
- The solution is very easy to apply
- It is waterproof
- Has a long-lasting effect of 6 months
- The solution may not work for some cats
- The product needs to be tested before use
7. Fedciory Flea and Tick Prevention
This product is effective for fleas, flea eggs larva, ticks and lice, once you apply it on your cat it will keep them irritation free for the whole month. The treatment acts fast and works in just 6 hours of application and they are not greasy too.
- The treatment is not greasy
- Starts working within 6 hours
- Is easy to apply and dries up quicklyCons
- May cause irritation to some cats
8. Hartz Topical Flea & Tick Prevention
This treatment is very effective for fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae and flea pupae and is suitable for all cats that are 8 weeks and above. What people love most about this treatment is that it fights fleas Fromm all their life stages, giving your cat a long-lasting relief
- Gets rid of fleas within 6 hours of application
- Kills fleas from all their life cycle
- Gives you one-month flea protection
- The treatment is very easy to apply
- May cause skin irritation
9. Pet Armor for Cats
This treatment is produced in a way that it kills 100% of the fleas and offers results just within 12 hours of application, it kills the entire life cycle of the flea and is suitable for cats that are 8 weeks and above.
- Will last for the whole month and is easy to apply
- Gets rid of fleas in their entire life cycle
- Will only get rid of the flea problem
10. Purrscriptions plus cat and kitten squeeze-ob
This product will keep your cat flea-free and happy, it is formulated with an adulticide element called the etofennox which has a low toxifying profile.Pros
- Dries up quickly after application
- Gets rid of ticks as well-It is non-stick
- Can cause skin irritation